Home | Apply for DOT Number | Apply for Authority | Apply for Broker License | UCR | Contact Us


DOT Numbers


 USDOT Numbers are issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration ("FMCSA"), a division of the United States Department of Transportation ("USDOT"). You may obtain a USDOT Number for your commercial motor vehicle over 10,000 pounds through this website. DOTNumber.us is a private, third-party provider offering certain services for a fee. This is a commercial solicitation and advertisement. DOTNumber.us is NOT affiliated with any government authority.
You may apply for an Interstate USDOT Number online FREE or through our fee-for-service Hotline: (888) 414-1874. 


Apply for a FREE USDOT Number

 To Apply by Phone*: (888) 414-1874
1. What is a USDOT Number?  
USDOT Numbers are used by the USDOT to monitor a company or independent owner-operator's safety management practices and controls. They serve as unique identifiers when the USDOT collects data and reviews a company's compliance during safety audits, compliance reviews, crash investigations, and roadside inspections. This is not "Operating Authority" (MC Number).
2. Who needs a USDOT Number? 
1. Companies that operate commercial motor vehicles that transport passengers or haul cargo across state lines must be registered with the USDOT and must have and display an "Interstate USDOT Number" on their vehicles.
2. Companies operating within PRISM states (all states except Michigan & Nevada) must have an "Intrastate USDOT Number" unless they have secured state-issued operating authority.
3. Companies that transport hazardous materials within their state, in quantities requiring a safety permit, must also register for a USDOT Number.
4. In select states (see states listed below*), all registrants of commercial motor vehicles, even intrastate and non-motor carrier registrants, are required to obtain a "Registrant USDOT Number" as a necessary condition for IRP (International Registration Plan) commercial vehicle registration for owner-operators leased on to the authority of a carrier.   Currently, this is the only way owner-operators can get/renew their plates for vehicles over 26,000 lbs.
*Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Companies operating exclusively as property ("freight") brokers or and freight forwarders do not need to obtain a USDOT Number. Brokers arranging for transportation across state lines must obtain a property and/or household goods broker license evidenced by an MC Number. Freight forwarders must obtain authority and are issued FF Numbers. Non-hazmat shippers do not need a regulatory number. 
You may secure a USDOT Number online through this website FREE. Click the link below to start the application process:
*Phone Support offered for additional fee: (888) 414-1874
4. What happens after I get a USDOT Number?
1. You will be enrolled in the New Entrant Program. Effective January 1, 2003, all first-time carrier applicants for a USDOT Number are automatically enrolled in the USDOT's New Entrant Safety Assurance Program. This program requires new entrants to pass a safety audit within 90 days and maintain acceptable roadside safety performance over an initial 18-month probationary period before they are given permanent registration status.
2. If you transport regulated property for-hire (including in vehicles under $10,000 lbs such as cargo vans), you are required to secure operating authority.
3. You will need to comply with IFTA & IRP if you operate vehicles over 26,000 lbs. You may also need HUT, KYU and permits from NM and/or OR.
4. You will need a SCAC Code if you operate internationally or receive EDI payments from government and other shippers. Click Here to be directed to the SCAC Code Online Application to get or renew a SCAC code for your company. 
6. You will need to submit a Biennial Report every 24 months. Click Here to be directed to our MCS-150 update page. 


DOTNumber.us is a private, third-party filing assistance service that charges a consulting fee to secure registrants' MC and/or USDOT numbers from the United States Government and UCR. Free Interstate USDOT offer applies to online self-service orders only. Unified Carrier Registration is a mandatory filing for interstate carriers but is not required to place free DOT Number self-service order. If you decline UCR filing offer, you will receive further instructions at no additional charge on how to complete the USDOT Number application via email. This service is independently offered and operated by AuthorityRegistration.com.   It is not the Department of Transportation or any state agency and is not endorsed by or affiliated with any United States Government or state agency. By using this website, you agree to hold AuthorityRegistration.com, DOTNumber.us and its owners free from any and all litigation that may arise from the use of this website. You will be billed by On-Line Registration. All sales are final. Once an order number has been assigned, no refund will be issued. Fees for Unified Carrier Registration are based on actual number of vehicles in carrier's fleet. Example advertised is for one truck. Change in definition notice: effective 2010 a tractor-trailer counts as just one vehicle subject to UCR filing requirements. Process Agent BOC-3 filing fee is included on all Interstate Motor Carrier Authority and Freight Broker License orders.






Copyright 2010-2019. DOTNumber.usAll Rights Reserved.

Mailing Address: PO Box 480340, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33348